Ahhh… Happy New Year! A time for all things new and improved! Don't like what you did last year? This is your chance to work on changing things in 2013! I am not one to make "resolutions" as I feel that I'm being pressured into change, and if I screw up … I feel awful.
SO .. this is where I change my thinking to include "goals" instead. Things to work towards and hopefully achieve — much less pressure, don't you agree?
1) Weight Loss - ALWAYS! lol Not just weight loss though, I really need to get back to the gym and start working out again. As many of you know, I had Gastric Sleeve surgery (celebrated my 1 year anniversary in August), and am down 81 lbs. However, I still have 40 lbs to go, and have been at a stand-still for months now. What happened? Stopped going to the gym — or exercising PERIOD, stopped eating regular meals … yes, you DO need to eat to lose weight, and stopped drinking water like I did in the beginning. This will ALL need to change in 2013.
2) Healthy Living – when I was diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea, and after countless diets, that was when I turned to bariatric surgery, which proved to be the right decision for me. I changed a lot about how I ate from that point on. Then when the hubby was diagnosed with diabetes and spent a week in the hospital due to an infection in his hand because of it, I came home and cleaned out our pantry and food cabinets. Even the kids were made to eat healthier versions of their favorites (ie: diet soda vs regular, whole wheat breads and pasta vs. the white versions, fruit for dessert, etc.). Although we have loosened our belt, so to speak (no pun intended), and allow some indulgences into our home, we have managed to add more fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and WATER into our diets. The hubby is a harder "egg to crack" and thinks because he is on diabetes meds, he can eat what he wants. So, that is one of my goals for the new year.. to get him back to eating how he did when he first came home from the hospital. I want to make sure he's around for us for a long time!
3) New Home – we moved to a 5-bedroom apartment several years ago after our oldest son was in a bad car accident and wasn't able to work. We needed a place big enough to house the 6 of us, PLUS our son and his family — a total of 10. Now that they have moved on to their own place, we are looking into either owning our own home in 2013 or renting a nice one. I want a house SO bad I can't stand it — a big yard for the kids and grandkids to play in, the ability to paint, lay carpet, and even tear down walls if we want to. If you've ever lived in an apartment, you know that most of those things are a big no-no — and our complex is one that wants "everyone to look alike." I want individuality.
4) New "Full-Time" Job – I have worked at our local Veterans Home for retired vets and/or their spouses for over 5 years now. I absolutely LOVE my workplace, but due to a hiring freeze that our State has had for many, many years — I have not been able to get full-time status. I've worked in various departments (administrative receptionist, dietary assistant, social services aide) and in September was offered a position as the Scheduling and Transportation Coordinator. Basically, I schedule ALL medical appointments and transportation for our 300+ residents — every day — which, believe me can be quite a challenge! I am supposed to hear more this month about a "permanent" place/position, so please say a little prayer for me! Although I have been doing the job since September, they are required to post the position.. and then, of course, it's up for grabs to any full-time employee. However, I've been told that NOBODY wants it lol, so here's hoping it's mine. That would mean benefits, more money, and a step or two closer to our goals for the year.
5) Closer to God – There was once a time when I didn't give God much thought … and then there were times when I gave him my all. And although I have not attended church as much as I'd like to this past year, I am always close to Him! If you only knew how much He has brought me through over the years, you would understand why He is always first and foremost in my life. Many situations and relationships that I could have given up on — He kept me focused and gave me hope. My life now may not be perfect, but it's perfect for me!! My family is my heart, and I can honestly say that we love and care for each other deeply, and have each other's backs through the good and the bad. I do feel that I need to give God more though, for all He's done for us, so I will be striving to be a better Christian in 2013, and to worship Him in AND out of His house.
My Blogging Goals?
I have SO many — it would take me days to list them all. But, here are a few…
- More organization — less procrastination. Definitely one of my biggest faults. I always put off what I can do tomorrow. lol That needs to change!
- Awesome giveaways AND more interesting/entertaining content. I think I get so caught up in offering great giveaways, that I sometimes forget why I started my blog in the first place.
- A new food blog – as you probably know, I am a HUGE recipe junkie, and have really become "serious competition" for Chef hubby in the last year. I would love to carry that over into a new blog this year, and share all of my foodie triumphs and blunders as well.
- Networking and interacting more with my blogging besties and my readers. I get so busy and preoccupied with work, home, and other responsibilities that I forget just how AWESOME you all are! I want to know more about you.
- My design blog – Pearl Tree Designs – as much as I really love designing, I'm still deciding whether I will continue at all, or just take on a few clients here and there. That will be one of my toughest decisions in the new year for sure.
So, what are your "goals" or resolutions for the New Year?