Our kiddos start back to school in just a couple short weeks. Sad to see the summer ending so soon, but we always have such wonderful memories to hold on to. Family time is very important to us, and everything we plan usually includes the hubby and I, the 4 kids still at home, as well as, our oldest son, daughter-in-law, and our granddaughters.
Here are just a few of the family fun things we enjoy doing to fill our summer!
1. The beach is our first stop of the summer! We live near the Jersey shore, and try to make our way there at least a few times each year. We pack a big cooler with lunch fixins’, fresh fruit, snacks, and plenty of water and cold drinks to enjoy. As you can see, one of our favorite pastimes is to bury someone or get buried in the sand.
2. Waterparks are definitely our next favorite! We all swim like fish, and really enjoy the huge water rides and slides. To wind down after a long day of water play, we all pile into our rafts and float along the Lazy River chatting and laughing about the fun we’re having. Indoor or outdoor.. as long as we’re splashing in the water, we’re good.
3. We visit our local parks quite often in the summer, because it’s a great opportunity to relax, have a picnic, get in some exercise, and let the kids burn off some energy. We watch our granddaughters several days a week and some weekends while our son and daughter-in-law are working, and this is a simple, fun, and FREE thing to do with them. Our youngest daughter usually invites several of her friends along as well.
4. The drive-in… we are lucky to have one of the few drive-in theaters left in the United States. Our drive-in shows a double feature every weekend, and sometimes even a triple feature… those are pretty long, but the kids LOVE to go. We pile everyone into the SUV with blankets, pillows, and a cooler full of food and drinks and make it a night.
5. Last but not least, we have an overload of birthday parties in our family during the summer months… 4 of our 5 children alone have birthdays in July and August.. not to mention all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins. For our parties, we love to eat good food, be entertained with dancing and other activities, and enjoy each other’s company. Our family is quite large, so whether we’re having birthday parties, holiday parties, weddings, or baby showers, we always have a great time… and most usually include LOTS of ice cream. What better way to cool off in the summer!
What’s your favorite family fun way to spend and end the summer?
** This advice is brought to you by the 2013 Chevrolet Traverse, with seating for up to eight and a five-star safety rating. Our crossover was #TraverseTested for everything from last minute road trips to daily carpooling, so you know it¹s the perfect ride to get you and your family back to school in style.